Tuesday 2 July 2013

M.A.S.K. Comics on Ebay!

I have been asked a number of times by various people "how much are M.A.S.K. comics worth?"

That is a very tricky question for me to answer.  I bought the comics new so for me the Preview Issue was free and for most of the run cost 35p - so that would be my diplomatic answer.

The truth is, there are many out there who will be buying and selling comics all the time as a commodity and won't really appreciate them for their Artwork or the stories - and to me that is a shame.  M.A.S.K. is the comic that I collected from the bright beginnings of the preview issue through to the very bitter end.

M.A.S.K. has a very special place in my heart and in that respect I would never contemplate selling my collection and could therefore never put a price on them.

I have, from time to time, bought some extra copies of the comics for a number of reasons.  The first was to use the second copy as a reference tool (should I have needed it) to write my script. The second is to use them for my blog.  Lastly, to read them to/with my little boy once he is old enough to appreciate them.

As I'm a buyer, not a seller, it would be in my interest to tell you that M.A.S.K. comics aren't worth very much - that way I can buy more copies from you cheaply!  That would be unfair.  There are some facts I could tell - such as the last time I bought a set of comics I paid about £20ish pounds for them - but I know that in some cases they will sell for more or less than that.  

Guess it's just your luck when you buy/sell them as to how many others are looking to buy/sell at the same time.

Not so long ago, someone was trying to sell one issue for £75 + extra for postage and packaging - whilst and identical item had a starting bit of 99p and never sold.  There are a number of very greedy Ebayers out there who will try to fleece as much money from you as they can - especially by asking for over the top buy it now prices and extortionate P&P.

Many Ebayers will give very limited information about the comics and only when you ask them a question about them do you find that they have taken the centre page posters out and ruined the comics.

One of the things that really annoys me is the overuse of the word "Rare" to describe every item - especially when describing the Preview issue and numbers 1, 2 & 3.  The question you have to ask yourself is "are these comics rare"?  The Preview issue was given away free with every comic made by the same stable, so surely there are more issues of this comic than any other?  The sheer number of issues that are for sale regularly on Ebay would suggest this also.

There are also many issues of 1, 2 & 3 up for auction - but consider this; how many issue 57's or 61's for example or issues 78, 79 & 80 do you see for sale?  Perhaps the longer the run, the fewer sales of comics there were.  Remember, M.A.S.K. and The Eagle joined forces - was this due to dwindling sales of M.A.S.K. and therefore the rarest issues may be the later issues?

I'm not going to sit here and preach to you and tell you how much you should buy or sell M.A.S.K. comics for - all I'll say is buy them to enjoy them.  Don't buy them to then try and rip of genuine collectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment